Hay and Forage Baling Equipment
V461R Variable Chamber Baler
- Precutter: MaxiCut HC 13 or 25 knife options
- Creates 4' x 6' bales
- Full-width hydraulically operated drop floor
Cam-track design offers the best versatility
Versatility has been one of the key criteria when designing the R-Series Balers. Due to a narrow weather window and increasing amounts of difficult crops, such as heavy silage, growers do not want to risk losing any more time during the season.
Cam-track technology provides an efficient solution for such needs. The traditional stripper design provides reduced space between the pickup tines and rotor feeder, while the tine motion helps to avoids pinching.
The cam-less technology requires long strippers, creating a dead zone between the tines and rotor. Additionally, fixed tines can easily pinch crops in sticky conditions, causing plugs that need to be manually removed.
Looking at potential component wear, the cam-track pickup features a low turning speed and big bearings on both side of the tine bars. Also, the cam lever is made of forged steel. These features guarantee a long component life and low maintenance.
Premium pickup pushes harvesting capacity a step forward
R-Series Balers are designed for the most demanding operators. The pickup features only premium components and concepts such as:
- 2.20-m (7.2-ft) wide pickup, with a 1.92-m (6.3-ft) tine-to-tine distance - this important width provides comfort and speed capacity when harvesting the largest swaths.
- Five tine bars - the fifth bar allows the tines to rake two more times per second versus the John Deere standard four-tine pickup.
- O-shaped tubular tine bars with central spider reinforcement - tines bars are assembled with ball bearings on the central spider, and central spiders highly limit tine bars bending in the very heavy crops.
- 6.0-mm (0.23-in.) diameter galvanized tines with high strength to harvest the toughest crops.
- Tines are designed to fold to replace potential shear bolt or cam clutch overload safety. 6.0-mm (0.23-in.) diameter tine push pickup maximum intake capacity up to 18 kW (24.1 hp), a value often not reached by machines using cam or shear bolt protected pickup.
- Stainless-steel strippers (exclusive feature) that give highly durable rust protection, perfect gliding capacity no matter the material, and is much more resistant to acid damage caused by additive uses (propionic acid).
The R-Series benefits from the proven HC rotor concept featuring an in-line design
By using the HC Premium rotor – a device implemented on John Deere round balers since 2012 – the R-Series feeding system offers:
- Limited distance from the pickup to the rotor tines to reduce plugging, especially in brittle straw or short silage
- Reduced number of bearings and distributed loads along the rotor to increase reliability
The overall result is optimized crop flow that avoids all dead area where crops stay for a long time.
This smooth and regular crop flow guarantees high feeding capacity, especially in short crops such as brittle straw or sticky silage.
RotoFlow HC Premium is the perfect solution for non-cutting uses
R-Series Round Balers can be delivered with a RotoFlow HC premium non-cutting solution.
All other John Deere round balers are equipped with a rotor feeder:
- Close to 50-cm (19.7-in.) diameter rotor for high inertia and feeding capacity
- Hardox® wear plate material (similar to the R-Series) to provide long lifespan and high resistance to foreign objects
- Three tines per turn for smooth crop flow
- Tines fully enclose the tube (instead of spikes on the G-Series RotoFlow HC), giving higher tine resistance and longer lifetime.
The RotoFlow HC Premium design has been used for five years on John Deere variable-chamber balers and has demonstrated unsurpassed capacity (John Deere 900 Series official productivity world record) and very high versatility.
MaxiCut™ HC 13 Premium rotor offers standard cutting length with high productivity and versatility
As an alternative to the RotoFlow HC Premium, R-Series Balers can be delivered with the MaxiCut HC 13 Premium rotor.
As with the non-cutting system, the rotor features:
- Close to 50-cm (19.7-in.) diameter rotor for high inertia and feeding capacity.
- Hardox wear plate material (similar to R-Series) to provide long lifespan and high resistance to foreign objects
- Three tines per turn (instead of two on the G-Series RotoFlow HC)
- Tines fully enclosing the tube (instead of spikes on the G-Series RotoFlow HC), giving higher tine resistance and longer component lifetime
The precutter function offers:
- 0/13 knives engagement from the display. No need to leave the cab to manage knives.
- 80-mm (3.1-in.) knife spacing when all knives are engaged, a standard cutting length giving a good compromise between crops quality and power consumption.
- Heavy-duty knives thanks to the double hardening and tempering treatment. Crops are perfectly cut for long, requiring less fuel consumption and sharpening operations.
- Individually spring-loaded knives to avoid component damages when grabbing foreign objects. Compared to a shear bolt or full-set hydraulic system, this technology limits efforts on the knives and provides non-stop safety.
MaxiCut HC 25 Premium provides high-quality fine chopped crops
For enhanced forage quality or for special application (poultry bedding, fruits, and vegetables application), MaxiCut HC 25 Premium can be assembled on R-Series Balers.
As with the RotoFlow HC Premium or MaxiCut HC 13 Premium, this fine chop precutter features:
- Close to 50-cm (19.7-in.) diameter rotor for high inertia and feeding capacity.
- Hardox wear plate material (similar to the R-Series) that provide long lifespan and high resistance to foreign objects.
- Three tines per turn (instead of two on the G-Series RotoFlow HC).
- Tines fully enclosing the tube (instead of spikes on the G-Series RotoFlow HC), giving higher tine resistance and longer component lifetime.
The fine-chop precutter function offers additional features such as:
- 0/12/13/25 knife engagement from the display. No need to leave the cab to manage knives. When used alone, the 12 or 13 knives set provides a regular 80-mm (3.1-in.) knife spacing and limited power consumption. When teamed together, knife spacing is reduced to 40 mm (1.6 in.).
- Heavy-duty knives due to the double-hardening and tempering treatment. Crops are perfectly cut for long, requiring less fuel consumption and sharpening operations. When cutting at regular 80-mm (31-in.) length, the two independent knife sets extend time between each sharpening process by using the first knife set one day and the second one on the next day (time between each sharpening process given can vary depending on crop type and number of bales).
- Individually spring-loaded knives to avoid component damage when grabbing foreign objects. Compared to a shear bolt or full-set hydraulic system, this technology limits efforts on the knives and provides a real non-stop safety.
Hardox is a trademark of SSAB Tunnplat AB Limited.
Drop floor with parallel kinematic provides constant free space to remove plugs
R-Series Balers are delivered standard with a drop-floor unplugging system. In case of a clog, the drop floor is managed from the display simultaneously or independently from the knives. When lowering the floor, the parallel kinematic gives 40-mm (1.6-in.) extra free space under the rotor and converging augers.
By providing a constant free space, the John Deere drop floor avoids bottlenecks existing on balers by using a movable floor with front or rear hinge. No need to have a huge opening (that sometimes causes crop loss); only a few free centimeters (inches) are enough to remove the plug.
The worst plugs generally happen when turning with the baler. The bunch of crops is blocked under the converging augers and the clog must be manually removed.
The unique John Deere full-width drop floor protects the full pickup and rotor width. Even when plugged at the converging auger level, the clog can be easily removed by the operator from the cab.
Proven high density and bale weight
Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft e.V. (DLG) official silage bale test
|Date||23 June 2012|
|Harvested crop||Grass silage|
|Baler||John Deere 960|
|Bale weight||786 kg (1732.8 lb)|
|Bale density||505.8 kg/m3 (31.6 lb-ft)|
|Bale diameter||127 cm (50 in.)|
|Bale width||123 cm (48.4 in.)|
|Dry matter content||68.8 percent|
|Density setting||100 percent|
|Number of knives||13|
|Driving speed||14.3 km/h (8.9 mph)|
DLG official straw bale test
|Date||13 August 2012|
|Harvested crop||Wheat straw|
|Baler||John Deere 990|
|Bale weight||472 kg (1040.6 lb)|
|Bale density||125.3 kg/m3 (7.8 lb-ft)|
|Bale diameter||192 cm (75.6 in.)|
|Bale width||126 cm (49.6 in.)|
|Dry matter content||88.5 percent|
|Density setting||100 percent|
|Number of knives||---|
|Driving speed||17.7 km/h (11 mph)|
The V461R can produce bales up to 1.85-m (6.1-ft) diameter with a 1.21-m (4-ft) bale chamber width. The MaxD – maximum density – bale chamber has been designed to deliver very heavy, dense, and perfectly shaped bales, officially proven by DLG.
Offset density arm provides tension to the belts
The V461R density is provided by an offset tension arm that applies hydraulic tension to the belts and not directly to the bale. This heavy-duty component is not involved in belt length compensation, so 100 percent of hydraulic power is involved in belt tensioning.
Density is easily set from the monitor and can be adjusted from 0 to 100 percent of hydraulic pressure. A virtual gauge located on the working page continuously follows the density increase without looking back to the baler.
Density can also be adjusted manually from the hydraulic valve in case of major failure.
Standard softcore system provides perfect crop quality
The V451R and V461R both benefit from a standard advanced softcore system management:
- Bale core density (different from the overall bale density) can be adjusted from 0 to 100 percent of maximum density capacity from the monitor.
- Bale core diameter can be set from the monitor.
- Softcore system can be activated/deactivated from the display.
Accurate softcore settings allow:
- Production of better-quality forage when harvesting crops with residual moisture.
- To easily unroll core of bales.
Hardox is a trademark of SSAB Tunnplat AB Limited.
Wide endless belts provide density and reduce crop loss
The V461R Round Baler features two wide 573-mm (22.56-in.) belts, meaning that only three free spaces are observed (one between the two belts plus one on each belt side). Using two belts optimizes bale coverage by approximately 4 percent. The result is significant crop loss limitation and more efficient baling process.
In order to handle huge stress transmitted by the density arm, the belts have no lacers.
An advanced belt tracking system, including wide front pulleys and several guides located throughout the chamber, ensures accurate belt positioning, even when working in slopes or when overloading one pickup side. All edges of parts potentially in contact with the belts are chamfered to avoid belt side damage. A take-up arm manages belt tension compensation during the unloading process to avoid potential belt tracking issues.
Belts are driven by two large-diameter rubber rolls with a large contact surface that avoid belt slippage in very wet conditions. Springs linked to the density arm are located on both chamber sides and give enough tension to the belts from bale starting.
To limit crops from sticking, belts feature a smooth pattern. Paddles on the belts’ driving rolls, cleaning augers into the density arm, and other scrapers located in several places through the belts’ paths continuously clean the belts and remove crop accumulation around the bale chamber.
Bale chamber rolls make easy bale starting in all conditions
MaxD bale chamber features three powered rolls to improve versatility and bale quality:
- The three powered rolls facilitate bale starting, especially in wet conditions such as silage. Forage immediately turns into the chamber and there is no slipping risk even with the heaviest bales.
- Rolls are positioned to give the bale a perfectly round shape, regardless of the bale diameter, and the core is ideally centered.
- As belts push crops against rigid steel rolls, high pressure is easily applied and provides high-density bales.
Heavy-duty components team high density and durability
Heavy bales, high density, high baling speed, and high tractor power directly impacts baler durability. The R-Series Round Balers include several heavy-duty components in the bale chamber to meet long lifetime expectations:
- The front part of the bale chamber (front side sheets) – the most stressed area – is made with Hardox® steel plates to limit impact of aggressive crop friction.
- Lower Fast Release System (FRS) roll handling a large part of bale weight features extra thickness (plus 40 percent versus standard rolls) for extended durability.
- Tailgate frame is specially reinforced around the lock to handle huge tension.
- Top belts driving roll receive a special heat tempering.
Why each second counts
Official Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft e.V. (DLG) Fokus Test 6112F measurements
|Density setting (percent)||100||50||100||50||100||50||100||50||85|
|Number of knives||25||25||13||13||13||13||13||13||13|
|Bale diameter (m, ft)||1.25 m
|Bale width (m, ft)||1.23 m
|Driving time (seconds)||64.2||55.0||57.8||49.8||73.6||51.6||82.8||76.3||49.5|
|Holding time (seconds)||10.9||10.6||10.7||10.6||12.0||12.1||10.5||10.5||---|
|Wrapping time (seconds)||5.8||5.7||5.9||5.8||7.0||7.1||5.7||5.8||---|
|Ejection time (seconds)||5.1||4.9||4.9||4.9||5.0||5.0||4.8||4.7||---|
|Driving speed (km/h, mph)||13.7 km/h
Large farms and contractors usually have to work quickly to deliver a large amount of bales every day, and every second must be optimized. Ejection time is generally a time loss on traditional round balers, requiring up to 20 seconds for a complete opening/closing cycle on some balers.
John Deere FRS greatly decreases this non-productive time and directly boosts overall baler productivity. As summarized by official DLG Fokus test 6112F: "The signature trait of this baler is the innovative ejection system, which provides considerable advantage through a very short bale ejection time. This shortens the hold time of the baler during ejection, which can consequently lead to a higher rate of productivity."
The FRS benefits operators in many ways, demonstrated by some easy calculations:
- According to DLG official test, on average, the round baler reached a bale ejection time of 4.9 seconds with bale diameter between 1.25 m (4.1 ft) and 1.4 m (4.6 ft).
- An average 10 seconds ejection time on other balers
- Considering a 60 bales/hour average productivity and a 10-hour working day for other balers
Others balers = 60 seconds/hour x 60 mn (2.4 in.)/hour x 10 hours/day divided by 60 seconds/bale = 600 bales/day
John Deere R-Series = 60 seconds/hour x 60 mn (2.4 in.)/hour x 10 hours/day divided by 55.1 seconds/bale = 654 bales/day
As a result, John Deere R-Series Balers produce 54 more bales a day – or allows the operator to save about one working hour per day.
Lighter tailgate means faster tailgate
FRS provides a light structure, and less than half of the traditional tailgate weight that opens the chamber quickly and removes belts from the bale.
Compared to a traditional tailgate:
- FRS can be actuated by fast cylinders with reduced dampening needs.
- FRS impacts the baler’s lifetime in a reduced way. Moving less than 250 kg (551 lb) provides less stress to the frame than moving 600 kg (1322.8 lb) in a similar time.
- FRS pivot is located at the center of the chamber, not on the top of the baler. Motion is even faster and center of gravity is not impacted much by tailgate position.
Moving side sheets release the bale faster
Moving side sheets helps prevent the bale from getting stuck in the chamber. When the light structure opens, each side of the chamber automatically moves 50 mm (2 in.). There is no more contact between the bale and the chamber; the bale is released and quickly falls by its own weight. Even in the worst wet conditions, the unloading process is as efficient as in dry straw.
This unique feature does not require complicated hydraulic or mechanical systems to be actuated. When the tailgate goes down, simple bearings push on cams located on both side sheet sides and lock the chamber sides in the baling position. When the tailgate opens, the pressure on the side sheets cams is automatically released, then a return spring quickly moves the chamber walls outside.
Locks located on both baler sides lock the FRS when tailgate is closed.
All settings from the monitor
For any monitor, all R-Series Balers use ISOBUS architecture and can be fully set from the display. There is no need for the operator to leave the cab, even for density or greasing parameters (when equipped with optional automatic greasing system), as everything is managed on the display through drop-down menus. V451R and V461R Balers offer:
- Knife engagement/disengagement
- Knife set management (when equipped with MaxiCut™ HC 25 Premium)
- Drop floor lowering/raising
- Bale diameter adjustment
- Bale density adjustment (0 to 100 percent capacity)
- Softcore activation/deactivation
- Softcore pressure adjustment (0 to 100 percent capacity)
- Softcore diameter adjustment
- Net/twine choice
- Automatic/manual tying/wrapping starting
- Manual net/twine cylinder control
- Net layers adjustment
- Net tying delay adjustment
- Twine turns on each side (independent) adjustment
- Twine spacing adjustment
- Twine space to the edges adjustment
- B-Wrap™ wrap system mode activation
- Lighting (side lights/beacon) control when option selected
- Automatic greasing system engagement/disengagement (when equipped with optional automatic greasing system)
- Automatic greasing duration and frequency
- Bale shape indicators
- Current bale diameter/set bale diameter
- Current bale density/set bale density
- Knife set position
- Drop-floor position
- Near full alarm
- Stop indicator
- Net/twine choice
- Net/twine process status
- Bale ejection status (when equipped with optional unloading ramp)
- Tailgate status
- Softcore status
- Bale counters (10 operators x 10 fields = 100 counters)
- Time counter
- Clear error message
Implement Display 1100 provides a simple but modern solution
As a universal solution, the Implement Display 1100 monitor offers all key functions for regular users. This ISOBUS monitor features an 11-cm (4.3-in.) diagonal color screen with backlit keys.
The display provides all functions and information listed previously. The Implement Display 1100 is not able to manage Tractor Baler Automation (TBA) mode. The Implement Display 1100 monitor is delivered with a cab harness that must be connected to a 12-V COBO® plug.
GreenStar™ 1800 Display offers full baler functionality and more
For the most demanding operators, the V451R and V461R can be delivered with the GreenStar 1800 Display. This ISOBUS display offers a comfortable 18-cm (7.0-in) diagonal color screen and is able to manage the TBA function.
The GreenStar 1800 Display offers additional advanced functions such as the John Deere AutoTrac™ guidance system.
This monitor is delivered with a cab harness that must be connected to a 12-V COBO plug and with a cornerpost to plug the display to the John Deere cab corner.
Use an ISOBUS monitor to optimize cost of acquisition and/or comfort
For operators already using a built-in or external ISOBUS certified display, R-Series Balers can be delivered without a monitor. Thanks to the ISOBUS connectivity, just plug the baler to the tractor/monitor and bale.
This cost-efficient solution offers full baler functions (except TBA mode when the baler is plugged into a non-compatible John Deere tractor or to a competitive tractor).
Tractor Baler Automation (TBA) simplifies baling experience
All V451R and V461R Balers are delivered as standard with TBA mode. There is no need for an additional baler activation key. TBA makes baling easier than ever by managing most of the baling process. It offers operators the following advantages:
- High baling comfort on a single-action to bale instead of four.
- Error-proof baling - even after 10 working hours, the system does not forget any action, a true advantage for an inexperienced driver.
- Constant bale quality - same diameter bale after bale.
- Constant productivity - no reduced efficiency due to operator fatigue.
When used with a John Deere ISOBUS tractor, electric selective control valve (E-SCV), and (IVT™) transmission, the system will be able to:
- Stop the tractor when bale size is reached
- Open the gate
- Close the gate when bale is unloaded
The only action remaining is to forward reverser and manage the steering.
If the John Deere tractor is not equipped with IVT (PowrQuad™ transmission or DirectDrive e.g.) but has E-SCV and ISOBUS, opening and closing can be automated.
A single-touch on the SCV, brakes, or reverser will disengage the automation. In the same way, automated open/close can be momentarily stopped when unloading in hilly conditions. TBA does not require additional SCV plugs or load sensing/power beyond features.
The TBA system can be fully set according to operator habits. Acceleration and deceleration duration can be easily adjusted from monitor.
Even if no activation key is required on the baler side, a tractor activation key can be mandatory depending on John Deere tractor specifications.
COBO is a trademark of C.O.B.O. S.P.A. Joint Stock Company Italy.
You can more clearly and conveniently keep an eye on the baling process with an updated video camera on F441R, V4X1R, and C4X1R Balers equipped with Vision Pack.
The factory-installed camera offers:
- Higher definition with 77 percent more pixels
- Wider view of 120 degrees instead of 90 degrees
- Night vision thanks to infrared light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- Better visibility in very bright or contrasted environments
- Integrated heating system to prevent dew from forming on the lens and obscuring the screen
- Long 10-m (32.8-ft) harness for ease of use
The camera is focused on the bale unloading process on F441R and V4X1R Balers or the bale transfer, wrapping, and unloading process on C4X1R Balers.
If you are not using a John Deere tractor with the 4240 Universal Display or GreenStar 3/Gen 4 integrated CommandCenter™ system, a dedicated screen is available.
- Clear picture with 17.8-cm (7-in.) 16/9 high-definition color screen
- Compatible with up to four cameras with split-screen or toggle-screen function
- Adjustable brightness and contrast provide optimum viewing
- Anti-reflection screen decreases glare
Dealer use only:
For producers looking to install multiple cameras (for pickup/net system view, etc.), the updated Vision Pack camera is also available through the Parts channel. The camera delivered with Vision Pack is compatible with the tractor video preparation plug for GreenStar 3/Gen 4 integrated CommandCenter. There are no changes to compatibility with the 4240 Universal Display. PFP17673 bulkhead harness (available through the Parts channel) is still required to display video if the 4240 Universal Display is plugged into the tractor cornerpost.
The dedicated screen is available as an option or as field bundle.
NOTE: For F441R, V4X1R and C4X1R Balers produced from 20 January 2020.
17.8-cm (7-in.) high-definition screen for Vision Pack camera
Learn more about financing options for this piece of equipment including:
- John Deere Revolving Plan account
- John Deere Multi-Use account
- Installment financing options
- Equipment leasing
- 10 Year Platinum Warranty Package
Get a quote