100 Series Lawn Tractors
S120 Lawn Tractor
- 22 hp (16.4 kW)* V-Twin Engine
- 42-in. Edge™ Mower Deck
- Hydrostatic Transmission w/side-by-side pedals
- Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System
- 15-in Open-Back seat
- Easy to read fuel gauge
- 2 year/120 hour bumper-to-bumper warranty
Powerful V-twin engine features full-pressure lubrication for dependability and long life
A 22-hp (16.4-kW) V-twin engine has plenty of power and torque to handle tough mowing, mulching, and bagging:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Spring-return feature to ensure the operator does not mistakenly leave the throttle lever in the choke position
- Cast-iron cylinder liners for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for cleaner oil, prolonging engine life and extending the time between oil changes
- More effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- The capacity is 2.4 U.S. gal. (9.1 L).
- The fuel filler opening is conveniently located under the seat.
- Filling the tank without spilling is easy.
- A tethered fuel tank cap is more convenient.
- The sealed fuel cap helps keep vapors inside the tank.
John Deere Easy Change™ 30-second oil change system
The John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean. Changing the oil is as easy as twisting on a new oil-filled filter. Oil does not need to be drained from the engine.
The John Deere Easy Change filter is an additional engine oil reservoir. Changing the filter removes the captured contaminants and replaces about 0.8 qt (0.76 L) of engine oil.
The functionality does not stop with ease of use. The Easy Change oil system has several meaningful benefits over the traditional oil filter system of the 100 Series:
- A synthetic filter material is used for more predictable filtering and longer life.
- Filtering capacity is greater than with a standard oil filter.
- More filter surface area
- More oil flow capacity
- The system has 40 percent more oil volume.
- The oil and engine run cooler.
- The oil filter valve closes whenever the engine stops, so filtered particles are captured and cannot drain back into the engine.
- The risk of spilling during oil service is greatly reduced.
- Waste oil (and new oil production) is reduced by over 1,000,000 lb (453,592.4 kg) per tractor production year.
- This system is not a compromise to just make oil changes easier—these engines pass the same John Deere expectations and rigorous testing as always.
Partly due to these improvements, it is not necessary to remove and dispose of all the oil in the engine during service.
Everyone who uses the John Deere Easy Change system saves time and avoids the mess of a traditional oil change. In the past, many 100 Series Lawn Tractor owners rarely or never got around to changing their engine oil. With the 30-second oil change, even people who previously would not consider changing the oil themselves can easily do it. The Easy Change system is a no-mess, no-fuss solution the competition cannot match.
Installation instructions are in the Operator’s Manual and in the John Deere Easy Change service part box.
Please recycle. Many local government recycling programs, authorized retailers, auto-service centers, and auto-parts stores will puncture and recycle used oil filters and oil.
Frame made of full-length welded steel for reliability
The solid one-piece frame is constructed of 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.66-mm) steel:
- Full-length, robotically welded frame design has high-strength steel rails for added strength and long life.
- One-piece, steel fender deck is bolted to the frame.
Cast-iron front axle will not bend
The front axle is constructed of solid cast iron that will not bend:
- Automotive-like steering system with sector and pinion steering gears and single drag link with a tie rod provides a very strong, low-effort, and tight-turning system.
- Three grease fittings, on both steering spindles and center pivot, allow for regular lubrication to help maintain easy steering and minimize wear.
- Large, 0.75-in. (1.9-cm) diameter wheel spindles provide excellent durability.
Front bumper protects the tractor
The front bumper is included on the S130, S140, S160, S170, and S180. It is available as an optional attachment for the S100, S110, and S120.
- Additional front-end protection
- Attractive, bold style
CargO Mount™ system makes installation of rear bagger and other attachments easy
The CargO Mount system is a combination of front- and rear-mounting points providing convenient and easy installation of the sun canopy, rear bagger, and other attachments.
Snow removal is a strength of lawn tractors
An advantage of lawn tractors is their ability to use equipment for snow removal. Lawn tractor owners can add a John Deere snow blower or front blade to make quick work of moving snow whenever the need arises. Weather enclosure and tire-chain attachments add comfort and performance.
Equipment available for snow removal includes:
- 44-in. (112-cm) Snow Blower
- 46-in. (117-cm) Front Blade
- Tire chains or TerraGrip traction belts
- Weather enclosure
Hydrostatic transmission gives an infinite choice of ground speeds
A Kanzaki® Tuff Torq® hydrostatic transmission gives an infinite choice of speeds and makes changing the direction of travel easy. Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator controls ensure easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Appropriate transmissions are used in each model, depending on rear tire size and tractor performance requirements, to ensure excellent performance and reliability:
- Tuff Torq TLT200 – S100, S110, S120, S130, S140, and S160
- Tuff Torq K46 - S170 and S180
Kanzaki and Tuff Torq are trademarks of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Mfg. Co., Ltd.
Operator station designed for operator comfort and convenience
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and easy operation:
- Controls are positioned where they are easy to reach and use to control the tractor.
- The steering wheel is positioned and angled to give the operator plenty of room and steering comfort.
- The seat is positioned to provide the most comfortable operator position.
Controls are easy to see and use:
- Large, three-spoke steering wheel for greater operator comfort and control
- Ignition switch is on the dash for starting ease
Wide footrest areas with non-slip, anti-vibration floor mats are provided for operator comfort:
- The wide footrest makes it easier to step over the mower deck while entering or exiting the seat.
- Debris-removing channels help keep the footrest area clean and dry.
Operator comfort is enhanced with a 15-in. (38-cm) high-back, two-piece seat with an open back:
- The open-back seat design keeps the operator cooler
- Especially helpful when operating the tractor for extended periods of time
- Easily adjusted forward or rearward while in the seat
- Seat travel of 5.5 in. (14 cm) and 10 different positions to adjust for operator height
Two long seat springs give plenty of seat travel to smooth out the ride, keeping the operator comfortable while operating the tractor.
The seat can be tilted forward for protection from the elements and to provide easy access to the fuel tank.
Storage compartment and beverage holder, located on the right-side fender, are conveniently located and easy to use.
NOTE: A storage compartment cover is standard on S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180 Tractors and optional on the S100, S110, and S140.
Fender flares included on the S130 Tractor cover the tires more completely and add style to the tractor.
Easy-read fuel gauge shows fuel level on dashboard and controls are convenient to use
Instruments and controls
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling:
- Controls are color-coded and labeled for easy identification.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The hour meter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Functional design of the controls provides good appearance and a comfortable feel.
Easy-read fuel gauge shows fuel level on the dashboard
The easy-read fuel gauge shows how much fuel is in the tank and can be seen on the dashboard:
- Easy to check fuel level
- Convenient location
- Visible in cloudy or dusk conditions (is not backlit)
- Does not slosh from bumps
- The MowerPlus™ smartphone app can read and remember the fuel level (optional MowerPlus deluxe smart connector required)
- The hour meter is also visible on the fuel gauge display
Side-by-side transmission control pedals
Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator controls ensure easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Cruise control (S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180)
Cruise control is available on the S120, S130, S160, S170, and the S180:
- To engage, lift the cruise lever and hold until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- The cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
Mower deck height adjustment
A spring-assisted, ergonomically designed lift lever simplifies adjusting the mower cut height:
- Increments of 1/4 in. (0.64 cm) allow fine-tuning the cut height.
- Cut height is adjustable from 1 to 4 in. (2.5 to 10.2 cm).
- The lift handle is shaped for easy use and is out of the way of entering or exiting operators.
Parking brake control
The parking brake control is conveniently located on the tractor pedestal for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
Manual power take-off (PTO)
The mower deck is engaged with the easy-to-see and easy-to-use yellow lever above the dashboard. Its placement on the right side leaves a lot of room on the left, the entry side of the tractor, for the operator to get on and off the tractor.
Reverse implement option (RIO)
CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:
- Carefully check the area around the machine.
- Disengage the mower before backing up.
NOTE: Backing up while the mower is engaged is strongly discouraged. RIO should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.
- Stop forward travel.
- Look behind the machine to be sure there are no bystanders.
- Push and hold in the RIO switch while depressing the reverse pedal slightly.
NOTE: If the engine and mower or other attachment stops while repositioning the machine, return the attachment engagement lever/switch to the off position. Start the engine and engage mower or other attachment. Begin again with step 2.
- Release the RIO switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
- Resume forward travel. The mower or other attachment should continue operating.
- Repeat procedure to position the machine again.
Serviceability is convenient with easy-open hood
The one-piece hood opens easily to permit checking and servicing the engine:
- Important service points are located within easy reach.
- A service-interval decal is provided inside the tractor hood for convenience when servicing the tractor.
The John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean. Changing the oil is as easy as removing the old oil-filled filter and twisting on a new oil-filled filter.
The seat tilts up and out of the way to make adding fuel easy.
Quick response (QR) codes link to owner information web pages
John Deere riding lawn mowers are supported by owner information web pages that include links to:
- Safety and how-to videos
- Operator’s manuals
- Parts catalog
- Maintenance reminder sheets
- Warranty registration
To speed access to owner information web pages, a QR code is printed onto a PIN label located near the fuel fill. Since each vehicle model has its own web page, the links are specific to the owner’s model. The QR code also includes the vehicle’s unique PIN, which enables warranty registration without the need to manually enter the vehicle’s PIN.
Hood will not rust or dent and includes quality headlights
- Molded-in color material reduces sound and will not rust or dent.
- Same quality hood material as on larger John Deere tractors provides good resilience and UV resistance for an extended time.
- Openings on the side let in plenty of cooling air while keeping the sound level low.
- Two headlights provide good lighting for nighttime operation.
Help maintain your mower and lawn with the MowerPlus™ app and connector
Keep a mower running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the mower’s barcode to get custom information about the mower.
- Engine hours, fuel level, and battery health (as compatible)
- Mowing history with time, distance, area, and speed
- Current day and five-day weather forecast based on location
- Walk-through setup guides
- Expert mowing tips
- Useful attachments for future purchase
- Periodic maintenance reminders
- Safety instructions
To download the free MowerPlus app, visit the Apple® App Store® or Google Play™ store.
MowerPlus connectors (sold separately)
Three MowerPlus connectors are available to transmit vehicle information to the MowerPlus app.
BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2003 to 2020 100 Series Tractors, including all models with an E, D, LA, or L prefix
- Model year 2015 to 2020 S240 Tractors (serial number -880,000)
- S100, S110, S140, and S220 Tractors
BUC10929 MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector is for use with:
- All S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180 Tractors
- Model year 2021 and newer S240 Tractors (serial number 880,001-)
- Model year 2021 and newer Z515E, Z530M, Z530R, and Z545R (serial number 010,001-)
BUC10537 MowerPlus Smart Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2016 and newer Select Series X300 and X500 Tractors
All the MowerPlus connectors transmit engine hour information to the app, making it easy to track maintenance intervals. The MowerPlus Smart Connector and MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector also transmit the fuel level.
MowerPlus connectors require the MowerPlus app on a mobile device to use. The John Deere MowerPlus app and operating system requirements can be found in the mobile device’s app store. The MowerPlus app is only available in the English language, and it is not available in all countries. BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector requires iOS® version 10 or higher and is not compatible with Android™ operating systems.
Apple and App Store are trademarks of Apple, Inc. Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. iOS is a trademark of Cisco Technology, Inc. used under license by Apple Inc.
The Edge™ cutting system gives superior performance
The Edge cutting system has been trademarked to emphasize the advantages of the John Deere mower deck designs. They give superior mowing performance, convenience, and reliability:
- The deep-deck design lifts grass for a clean, even cut.
- The smooth underside has no nooks and crannies, preventing grass buildup and evenly dispersing grass clippings.
- The rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
- Dual-stage E-coat and powder paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
- Flexible discharge chute minimizes property and mower deck damage.
The 42-in. (107-cm) Edge Mower Deck is a two-spindle design with heavy-duty characteristics:
- The 13-gauge, 0.09-in. (2.3-mm) steel deck provides years of dependable mowing.
- Included three-in-one blades work well for side-discharge, mulching, or bagging.
- The blade-to-spindle design provides a unique mounting system for the mower blade that provides extra safety and convenience.
- No tools are required to switch from mulching to side discharge to rear bagging.
- A mulching cover is an optional attachment that can be installed without tools to allow mulching with the standard mower blades.
- High-performance mulching blades are available to enhance mulching performance.
- A high-performance mulching attachment is an optional attachment that includes a mulch plug and special mulching blades for excellent performance.
Mower wash port
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy:
A hose connector is included with mower deck.
StarLock™ blade design
The StarLock blade design keeps the blade bolt at the correct torque for easy removal.
Optional blades for difficult mulching or bagging conditions are available.
A cut-and-throw, 6.5-bu (229-L) bagger is sold separately and comes with bagging blades. Special bagging blades are not required but they can enhance performance.
The bagger kit provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves. It can be set up without tools in minutes and has easy-to-empty bags.
Two-year or 120-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is included
An exclusive 2-year or 120-hour single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is included for all John Deere 100 Series Tractors.
The warranty is hassle free, with John Deere handling the service and paperwork.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
Specs & Compare
|Specs & Compare|
|Select up to 4 models to compare specifications||
|Engine power||22 hp
|Oil change||John Deere Easy Change™ 30-second oil change system|
|Engine manufacturer/model||44N677 (M44)|
|Transaxle type||TLT200 hydrostatic, two-wheel drive|
|Transaxle control||Side-by-side pedals|
|Lift system type||Spring-assisted hand-grip lever|
|Cutting width||Edge™ mower deck, 42 in.
|U.S. warranty||2 year/120 hour bumper-to-bumper* (*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
|Displacement||44.2 cu in.
|Type||Overhead valve, full-pressure lube, oil filter|
|Choke/speed control||Single lever with spring-return on choke|
|Oil change||John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system|
|Fuel delivery||Pulse pump and carburetor|
|Fuel gauge||Easy-read on dash|
|Fuel tank location||Rear|
|Fuel fill opening||Center, 1.75 in.
|Fuel tank capacity||2.4 U.S. gal.
|Charging system||Regulated, 8 amp|
|Engine starter||Bendix type|
|Headlights||Two standard, incandescent|
|Taillights or reflector||No|
|Rear work lights||No|
|Type||Hydrostatic, 2-wheel drive|
|Oil cooler||Fins and fan on transaxle|
|Oil filter||Yes, not serviceable|
|Forward speed||0-5.5 mph
|Reverse speed||0-3.2 mph
|Brakes||Internal wet disk|
|Frame||Full-length welded steel|
|Weight bracket||Optional rear|
|Front axle||Cast-iron front axle, powdered-metal front wheel bushings|
|Hood material||Molded-in color material reduces sound, will not rust or dent|
|Fender deck material||Stamped steel|
|Floor mats||Yes, with debris removing channels|
|Storage||Storage tray with cover|
|Service interval decal||Yes|
|Equipment mounting||CargO Mount™ system|
|Type||Sector and pinion with single drag link and tie rod|
|Four-wheel steer||Not available on this model|
|Steering wheel||Standard, diameter - 12 in.
|Tilt steering wheel||No|
|Turning radius||18 in.
|Uncut circle radius||25 in.
|Type||Two piece with open-back|
|Seat back height||15 in.
|Fore-aft adjustment||While seated, 5.5 in.
|Seat suspension||Tilt, two coil springs|
|Type||Spring-assisted hand-grip lever|
|Mower cut height||13 positions, 1-4 in.
|Cut height increments||0.25 in.
|Preset cut height||No|
|Cutting width||Edge™ mower deck, 42 in.
|Construction||Stamped steel deck shell|
|Mower deck material||Steel, 13 gauge
|Mower wash port||Yes|
|Mower drive system||Manual power take-off (PTO)|
|Mower wheel adjustment||One bolt|
|Mower level adjustment||Easy-level deck|
|Type||Slide under tractor|
|Front draft arms||One spring clip|
|Rear draft arms||Two spring clips|
|Mower wheels rotate||No|
|Drive system||Single belt|
|Meets ANSI standard||Yes|
|Meets OPEI standard||Yes|
|Backup protection||Reverse Implement Option (RIO)|
|Notes||Molded-in color material reduces sound, will not rust or dent
Durable primer and powder paint finish
Full-length welded steel frame
John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system
|Warranty||2 year/120 hour bumper-to-bumper* (*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
|Rear bagger||2-bag, 6.5 bu
|Powered material collection|
|Mulching system||Mulch cover or high-performance plug|
|Front blade||46 in.
|Snow blower||Two-stage, 44 in.
|Rear power take-off (PTO)|
|Sprayer||Tow-behind, 15 U.S. gal.
Mounted, 15 U.S. gal.
Tow-behind only, 25 U.S. gal.
|Spreader||Tow-behind only, 125-175 lb
|Front bumper||Styled front bumper|
|Weather protection||Weather enclosure|
|Sun canopy||Sun canopy|
|Rear receiver hitch|
|Bucket holder||Yes, single bucket|
|Grass striping||Lawn striping kit|
|Overall length||69.7 in.
|Width with mower||55.2 in.
|Width with mower (deflector raised for storage)||46.5 in.
|Width without mower|
|Weight||Mower, no fuel, 444 lb
|Manufacturing location||Greeneville, Tennessee, USA|
Learn more about financing options for this piece of equipment including:
- John Deere Revolving Plan account
- John Deere Multi-Use account
- Installment financing options
- Equipment leasing
- 10 Year Platinum Warranty Package
Winter Maintenance with 21st Century Equipment
Posted: November 30, 2022
When preparing for the winter months, it is essential to ensure your equipment has been properly taken care of. In doing so, your machine will have an extended life span, and you will be prepared in the hopes of an early spring!
Wheat Harvest Safety Tips from 21st Century Equipment
Posted: May 31, 2022
Amber waves of grain are spotted with John Deere green, as equipment like S-Series and X-Series combines get to work. Inside these mighty machines are farmers with families who love them. This wheat harvest season, we encourage sensible safety measures like the below.
How to choose the right oil for your machine
Posted: August 11, 2021
When it comes to servicing your equipment properly, it feels like there are just so many options. Let’s explore different types of oils available and identify what to use in your hardworking equipment, from work trucks to irrigation pivots to tractors.
Get a quote