Hay and Forage Baling Equipment
C451R Variable Chamber Wrapping Baler
- High capacity, high performance 2.2 m wide precutter
- Wide hydraulic drop-floor clears even the worst blockage with ease
- 3 powered fixed rolls and 2 large diameter belt driving rolls inside the chamber
The C451R pickup features premium components such as:
- 2.20-m (7.2-ft) wide pickup, with a 1.92-m (6.3-ft) tine-to-tine distance provides comfort and speed capacity when harvesting the largest swaths.
- Five tine bars - the fifth bar allows the tines to rake two more times per second versus a four-tine pickup.
- O-shaped tubular tine bars with central spider reinforcement - tine bars are assembled with ball bearings on the central spider, and central spiders limit tine bars bending in heavy crops.
- 6.0-mm (0.23-in.) diameter tines provide high strength to harvest the toughest crops.
- Stainless-steel strippers provide gliding capacity no matter the material, and are resistant to acid damage that can be caused by the use of additives such as propionic acid.
The C451R HC rotor
By using the HC Premium rotor – a feature available on John Deere round balers since 2012 – the C451R feeding system offers:
- Limited distance from the pickup to rotor tines to reduce plugging, especially in brittle straw or short silage
- Reduced number of bearings and distributed loads along the rotor to increase reliability
- Large 48-cm (18.9-in.) diameter converging augers facilitate crop transfer
This smooth crop flow enables high feeding capacity in short crops such as brittle straw or sticky silage.
MaxiCut HC 25 Premium provides high-quality fine chopped crops
The 25-knife, High-Capacity Premium precutter features:
- 50-cm (19.7-in.) diameter rotor for increased feeding capacity
- Hardox wear plate material provides a long lifespan and high resistance to foreign objects
- Three tines per turn
- Tines fully enclosing the tube, giving higher tine resistance and longer component lifetime
The - precutter function offers additional features such as:
- 0/12/13/25 knife engagement from the display. No need to leave the cab to manage knives. When used alone, the 12 or 13 knives set provides a regular 80-mm (3.1-in.) knife spacing and limited power consumption. When paired together, knife spacing is reduced to 40 mm (1.6 in.).
- Heavy-duty knives require less fuel consumption and sharpening operations. When cutting at a regular 80-mm (3.1-in.) length, the two independent knife sets extend time between each sharpening process by using the first knife set one day and the second one on the next day (time between each sharpening process given can vary greatly depending on crop type and number of bales).
- Individual spring-loaded knives prevent component damage when foreign objects are ingested. Compared to a shear bolt or full-set hydraulic system, this technology limits effort on the knives and/or provides a real non-stop protection.
Drop floor provides a constant free space to remove plugs
The C451R Baler comes with a drop-floor unplugging system. In case of clog, the drop floor is managed from the display simultaneously or independently from the knives. When lowering the floor, the drop floor system provides 40-mm (1.57-in.) of free space under the rotor and converging augers.
By providing a constant free space, the John Deere drop floor avoids bottlenecks existing on balers using movable floors with front or rear hinges. No need to have an opening (that sometimes causes crop loss), only a few free centimeters (inches) are enough to remove the plug.
The worst plugs generally happen when turning with the baler. In such situations, the crops are blocked under the converging augers and the clog must be manually removed. The unique John Deere drop floor features a full width, protecting the full pickup and rotor width. Even when plugged at the converging auger level, the clog can be easily removed by the operator from the cab.
Offset density arm provides tension to the belts
The C451R density is provided by an offset tension arm that applies hydraulic tension to the belts and not directly to the bale. This heavy-duty component is not involved in belt length compensation, so 100 percent of hydraulic power is involved in belt tensioning.
Density is easily set from the monitor and can be adjusted from 0 to 100 percent of hydraulic pressure. A virtual gauge located on the main working page continuously follows the density increase without looking back to the baler.
Density can also be adjusted manually from the hydraulic valve in case of major failure.
Wide endless belts provide density and reduce crop loss
The C451R Round Baler features two wide 573-mm (22.56-in.) belts. Using two belts optimizes bale coverage and limits crop loss.
To handle the pressure transmitted by the density arm, the belts have no laces.
An advanced belt tracking system, including wide front pulleys and several guides located throughout the chamber, ensures accurate belt positioning, even when working in slopes or when overloading one side of the pickup. All edges of parts that could potentially come in contact with the belts are chamfered to avoid belt side damage. A take-up arm provides belt tension during the gate cycle process to avoid potential belt tracking issues.
Belts are driven by two large-diameter rubber rolls with a large contact surface to prevent belt slippage in wet conditions. Springs linked to the density arm are located on both sides of the chamber and give tension to the belts during bale starting.
The C451R has a few features to limit crop from sticking. The belts feature a smooth pattern. Paddles on belt drive rolls, cleaning augers into the density arm, and other scrapers located in several places through the belts paths continuously clean the belts and remove crop accumulation around the bale chamber.
Bale chamber rolls make easy bale starting in all conditions
MaxD bale chamber features three powered rolls:
- The three powered rolls facilitate bale starting, especially in wet conditions such as silage. Forage immediately turns into the chamber, and there is no slipping risk even with the heaviest bales.
- Rolls are positioned to give the bale a perfectly round shape, regardless of the bale diameter, and the core is centered.
- As belts push crops against rigid steel rolls, high pressure is applied to produce high-density bales.
Heavy-duty components ensure high density and durability
Heavy bales, high density, high baling speed, and high tractor power directly impacts baler durability. The C451R Round Baler includes several heavy-duty components into the bale chamber to meet growers' expectations:
- The front part of the bale chamber (front side sheets) is made with Hardox® steel plates to limit impact of aggressive crop friction.
- Lower Fast Release System (FRS) roll handling a large part of the bale weight features extra thickness (plus 40 percent versus standard rolls) for extended durability.
- Tailgate frame is specially reinforced around the lock to handle high tension.
- Top belts driving roll receive a special heat tempering.
Standard softcore system provides on-the-go adjustability
The C451R benefit from an advanced softcore system management:
- Bale core density (different from the overall bale density) can be adjusted from 0 to 100 percent of maximum density capacity from the monitor.
- Bale core diameter can be set from the monitor.
- Softcore system can be activated/deactivated from the display.
Accurate softcore settings allow:
- Production of better-quality forage when harvesting crops with residual moisture.
- To easily unroll core of bales.
Hardox is a trademark of SSAB Technology AB.
Why each second counts
The size of the tailgate directly impacts bale transfer time, and the bale chamber unloading system is a critical component in a wrapping baler.
John Deere FRS greatly decreases non-productive time and directly boosts overall baler productivity.
There is an advantage to the baler compactness: by using a vertical folding structure, the C451R allows a quick transfer right after the bale has been unloaded from the chamber. FRS can close as soon as the bale leaves the unloading areas and the baling process can restart a short time after the bale has been ejected from the chamber.
On all other wrapping balers, the bale must first reach a far enough position before the tailgate can close (to avoid bale/tailgate interference risk). This transfer requires time and keeps the baler wrapping from restarting quickly.
Lighter tailgate means faster tailgate
FRS provides a light structure, less than half of the traditional tailgate weight that opens the chamber quickly and removes belts from the bale.
Compared to a traditional tailgate:
- FRS can be actuated by fast cylinders with reduced dampening needs.
- FRS impacts the baler’s lifetime in a reduced way. Moving less than 250 kg (551 lb) puts less stress on the frame than moving 600 kg (1322.8 lb) in a similar time.
- FRS pivot is located at the center of the chamber, not on the top of the baler. Motion is even faster and center of gravity is not impacted much by tailgate position.
Moving side sheets release the bale faster
Moving side sheets help prevent the bale from getting stuck in the chamber. When the light structure opens, each side of the chamber automatically moves 50 mm (2 in.). There is no more contact between the bale and the chamber; the bale is released and quickly falls by its own weight. Even in wet conditions, the unloading process is as efficient as in dry straw.
This unique feature does not require complicated hydraulic or mechanical systems to be actuated. When the tailgate goes down, simple bearings push on cams located on both side sheets and lock the chamber sides in the baling position. When the tailgate opens, the pressure on the side sheets cam is automatically released, then a return spring quickly moves the chamber walls outside.
Locks located on both baler sides lock the FRS when the tailgate is closed.
Balanced cycle time between baling and bale wrapping functions is key
The design of a productive baler is not sufficient if the film wrapping unit is not able to follow the same rhythm of work. John Deere engineers came up with smart solutions to eliminate bottle necks and boost total productivity.
Cycle times have been decreased and the system allows a bale wrapped with six layers of film every 39 seconds, meaning a maximum productivity of 92 bales per hour. This performance is from 7 percent to 22 percent better than others in the worldwide market.
To achieve such productivity, John Deere uses an innovative and powerful hydraulic motor which can drive the film wrapping arm at a 35-rpm speed.
Changing film rolls is quick and easy
The C451R is equipped with a unique film roll storage device. Each film roll weighs about 20 kg (44 lb) and must be changed often; this system has been designed to simplify loading and unloading operations.
On each side of the machine, five rolls are installed on a moving arm, hydraulically piloted. The loading/unloading position has been set up to be as close as possible to the wrapping arms at an ergonomic height.
Details count: in the transport position, the film storage device is covered by a roof which protects film rolls from rain. This protects the film roll core, often made of cardboard, from damage.
All settings from the monitor
The C451R Wrapping Baler both use ISOBUS architecture and can be set from the display. There is no need for the operator to leave the cab, even for density or greasing (when equipped with optional automatic greasing system), as everything is managed from drop-down menus.
The C451R offers:
- Knife engagement/disengagement
- Knife set management (when equipped with MaxiCut™ HC 25 Premium)
- Drop floor lowering/raising
- Bale diameter adjustment
- Bale density adjustment (0 to 100 percent capacity)
- Softcore activation/deactivation
- Softcore pressure adjustment (0 to 100 percent capacity)
- Softcore diameter adjustment
- Net/twine choice
- Automatic/manual tying/wrapping starting
- Manual net/twine cylinder control
- Net layers adjustment
- Net tying delay adjustment
- Twine turns on each side (independent) adjustment
- Twine spacing adjustment
- Twine space to the edges adjustment
- B-Wrap® wrapping system mode activation
- Automatic greasing system engagement/disengagement (when equipped with optional automatic greasing system)
- Automatic greasing duration and frequency
Wrapping unit settings
- Automatic/manual tailgate opening and bale transfer
- Transport table speed curve
- Number of film layers
- Automatic/manual wrapping
- Wrapping arm speed curve
- On the go/when stopped/manual/grouper mode dumping
- Dumping speed curve
- Lighting (side lights/beacon) control when option selected
- Bale shape indicators
- Current bale diameter/set bale diameter
- Current bale density/set bale density
- Knife set position
- Drop-floor position
- Near full alarm
- Stop indicator
- Net/twine choice
- Net/twine process status
- Tailgate status
- Softcore status
- Bale counters (10 operators x 10 fields = 100 counters)
- Time counter
- Clear error message
Wrapping unit information
- Transport table position
- Wrapping arms position
- Wrapping process status (number of applied layers)
- Dumping status
- Greasing status
- Lighting status
4240 Universal Display enhances operator comfort
NOTE: Limited availability for model year 2019.
The C451R can be delivered with various monitors. At the top of the baler range, the 4240 Universal Display can be ordered. This monitor features a 21.5-cm (8.5-in.) diagonal color display. The touchscreen offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface that easily allows operators to adjust and control various settings.
To be used with ISOBUS or non-ISOBUS tractors, the GreenStar 4240 Display option is delivered with the following components:
- 4240 Universal Display
- Baler to rear tractor ISOBUS plug
- Baler ISOBUS plug to display harness – plugged into tractor battery
- Tractor cab corner to monitor harness
NOTE: GreenStar™ 2 2600 Displays are not compatible. There is not sufficient memory to handle the software payload.
The operator's own ISOBUS monitor can be used to optimize cost of acquisition and/or comfort
For operators already using a built-in or external ISOBUS certified display, the C451R Baler can be delivered without a monitor. Thanks to the ISOBUS connectivity, just plug the baler to the tractor/monitor and bale.
B-Wrap is a trademark of Tama Plastic Industry.
|7309||No monitor – ISOBUS baler|
|7312||GreenStar 4240 – ISOBUS baler|
You can more clearly and conveniently keep an eye on the baling process with an updated video camera on F441R, V4X1R, and C4X1R Balers equipped with Vision Pack.
The factory-installed camera offers:
- Higher definition with 77 percent more pixels
- Wider view of 120 degrees instead of 90 degrees
- Night vision thanks to infrared light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- Better visibility in very bright or contrasted environments
- Integrated heating system to prevent dew from forming on the lens and obscuring the screen
- Long 10-m (32.8-ft) harness for ease of use
The camera is focused on the bale unloading process on F441R and V4X1R Balers or the bale transfer, wrapping, and unloading process on C4X1R Balers.
If you are not using a John Deere tractor with the 4240 Universal Display or GreenStar 3/Gen 4 integrated CommandCenter™ system, a dedicated screen is available.
- Clear picture with 17.8-cm (7-in.) 16/9 high-definition color screen
- Compatible with up to four cameras with split-screen or toggle-screen function
- Adjustable brightness and contrast provide optimum viewing
- Anti-reflection screen decreases glare
Dealer use only:
For producers looking to install multiple cameras (for pickup/net system view, etc.), the updated Vision Pack camera is also available through the Parts channel. The camera delivered with Vision Pack is compatible with the tractor video preparation plug for GreenStar 3/Gen 4 integrated CommandCenter. There are no changes to compatibility with the 4240 Universal Display. PFP17673 bulkhead harness (available through the Parts channel) is still required to display video if the 4240 Universal Display is plugged into the tractor cornerpost.
The dedicated screen is available as an option or as field bundle.
NOTE: For F441R, V4X1R and C4X1R Balers produced from 20 January 2020.
17.8-cm (7-in.) high-definition screen for Vision Pack camera
Specs & Compare
Specs & Compare
|Select up to 4 models to compare specifications||
Variable Chamber Wrapping Baler
|Belts-other - width||Two endless belts|
|Density control||Density and diameter fully controlled from the monitor|
|Bale size indication||Monitor|
|Regular pickup - Bars||Five|
|Regular pickup - Number of teeth|
|Regular pickup - Tooth spacing|
|MegaWide Plus pickup - Number of regular teeth|
|MegaWide Plus pickup - Number of mega teeth|
|High-capacity pickup - Number of middle teeth|
|High-capacity pickup - Number of mega teeth|
0.8 to 1.6 m
2.6 to 5.25 ft
|Base weight||6803 kg
With narrowest tires - 2.83 m
With widest tires - 3.29 m
|Forming chamber||Variable - two endless belts + two front rolls + starter roll|
|Enclosed percent of bale surface|
|Density control||Density and diameter fully controlled from the monitor|
|Bale size indication||Monitor|
|Type||MaxiCut™ precutter pickup/25 knives|
|Knives||Dual bank 12 & 13 knife, Total 25 knife|
|Number of teeth|
|Gauge wheels||Fixed or castor action|
MegaWide Plus pickup
|Number of regular teeth|
|Number of mega teeth|
|Number of middle teeth|
|Number of mega teeth|
|Bale chamber||Net system on front of baler|
|Twine ball capacity|
|Monitor console for tractor||ISOBUS|
|Near full bale||Yes|
|Twine arm position Indicator|
|Drive protection||Cam clutch|
|PTO speed||540 or 1000 rpm|
|PTO lockback collar on tractor hookup||Yes|
|PTO 60-degree free rotation||Yes|
|Minimum PTO||90 kW
|Hydraulic SCV valves||Power beyond is preferred but not mandatory|
Silage baler features
|Starter roll scraper|
|Powered scraping auger|
|Spirals on gate roll|
|Maintenance chains||Automatic chain lubrication is standard
Bearings greasing - automatic greasing system (tank)
|Date collected||9 August 2019|
Learn more about financing options for this piece of equipment including:
- John Deere Revolving Plan account
- John Deere Multi-Use account
- Installment financing options
- Equipment leasing
- 10 Year Platinum Warranty Package
Get a quote