4 Series Compact Tractors
4044R Compact Utility Tractor
- Naturally aspirated diesel engine
- PowrReverser™ or eHydrostatic Transmission Options
- Cab or Open Station configurations
- Premium features: Hitch Assist, Aux Hitch Control, HST controls
For pricing and additional discounts, see your local John Deere Dealer.
The bold styling of the 4M and 4R Tractors provide an attractive and functional appearance similar to that of the larger agricultural tractors. Benefits of this styling include:
- Easy tractor family identification
- Updated fixed grille and side panel hood design allows for optimum sealing of the cooling compartment
- Front grille slides up to an integrated maintenance position for easy battery access
- Easily removable cowl, allowing for serviceability access
- Wraparound-style halogen headlights
- Premium integrated automotive style headlight bezels
- Bold graphics
- Aggressively sloped hood design, giving a softer, smoother look and providing improved visibility
- Hybrid exhaust in base on cab tractors for clear operator visibility and safety
- At low speed and when tractor is in a filter cleaning process, exhaust will be routed through vertical exhaust outlet. In all other cases, the exhaust will be routed through the downward exhaust outlet.
- Side exhaust in base on open operator station tractors and ensures minimal heat impact to operator
The result gives the tractor a distinctive appearance and feel.
NOTE: If the tractor is equipped with an optional field-installed vertical exhaust, exhaust pipe must be removed before opening and closing the hood of the tractor.
The Yanmar diesel engine has a high-torque reserve that provides plenty of power under heavy load.
This 4-cylinder engine features lower levels of exhaust emissions and reduced noise levels. It meets EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4) emission standards.
Gross engine ps*
Displacement, cu in. (L):134.25 (2.2)
*Engine hp (kW), gross SAE J1995: 51.5 (37.9) at 2600 rpm, PS
Displacement, cu in. (L):128.15 (2.1)
*Engine hp (kW), gross SAE J1995: 65.9 (48.5) at 2600 rpm, PS
Displacement, cu in. (L):128.15 (2.1)
The engine uses the latest technologies to optimize fuel economy, improve control and accuracy, and reduce environmental impact.
The common rail system (CRS) optimizes fuel economy and reduces operating costs*. High-pressure injection atomizes fuel into finer particles which burn more completely. It results in improved fuel economy and lower cost of operation.
The electronic control unit (ECU) provides optimum fuel control and accuracy. ECU monitors and controls the engine. It continuously monitors engine conditions and adjusts the fuel delivery accordingly to ensure optimum performance and emissions.
The new engine comes with an after treatment system. The system operates automatically. The exhaust filter consists of a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which captures particulate matter (PM) contained in the exhaust gas. Using a natural cleaning process, most of the PM trapped in the exhaust filter is eliminated by the heat of the exhaust stream generated by normal use. In situations of low temperature, engine speed or load factor, an active cleaning cycle is initiated. In this cleaning cycle, the exhaust gas temperature is raised by injecting additional fuel during the exhaust stroke of normal vehicle operation to the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC).
After many hours of use, the exhaust filter may require an ash removal service.
NOTE: *As compared to engines not using CRS technology.
Depending on the load that the tractor is under, as well as ambient temperature, humidity, and engine speed, the DPF may build up with particulate matter, thus requiring cleaning. Filter cleaning is determined by one of three conditions:
- A prescribed time-based estimation of needed filter cleaning
- DOC/DPF pressure sensors
- A particulate matter buildup estimation based on load conditions
Once one of the three conditions has been met, filter cleaning will occur.
There are three different types of filter cleaning processes:
- Passive filter cleaning
- Active filter cleaning
- Parked filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning occurs naturally when the engine is generating enough heat to oxidize particulate matter. This automatic process occurs continuously during normal operating conditions. No tractor icons or symbols appear on the display during passive filter cleaning.
NOTE: Passive filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Active filter cleaning
If conditions (temperature, load, or speed) for passive filter cleaning cannot be achieved, then PM is removed using active filter cleaner.
To achieve the required conditions, exhaust temperature management (ETM) manages the initiation and duration of active filter cleaning. ETM can adjust numerous engine parameters and/or inject a small quantity of fuel into the exhaust stream for a short duration. The fuel turns to vapor and chemically reacts with the catalysts in the DOC to create heat to oxidize PM.
It is important to note that at no time is the fuel in the DOC/DPF ignited, and there is no flame within the DOC/DPF.
Like passive filter cleaning, active filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Parked filter cleaning
In some instances where passive and active filter cleaning have not fully cleaned the PM from the system, a parked filter cleaning may need to take place. Most likely, the only time a parked filter cleaning will need to occur is when automatic filter cleaning has been disabled for an extended period of time and multiple warnings to engage filter cleaning were ignored or if the tractor has been used during light load conditions. Additionally, when the automatic filter cleaning process has been deliberately interrupted multiple times, or if active filter cleaning has failed numerous times due to a failed component, a parked filter cleaning may be requested. In these rare instances the operator will have to park the tractor and start the filter cleaning process.
The parked filter cleaning process needs to be activated based on usage and operation of the tractor. The process will take approximately 30 minutes. See operator’s manual for more details.
This system constantly monitors the soot level of the tractor, making sure the tractor is always in peak performance condition. This ensures high performance at all times.
NOTE: Number of hours since last regeneration and soot level percentage viewable on LCD display.
Key features of the engine are:
- Lower rated speed for 540 rpm power take-off (PTO) operation means better fuel economy, less noise and vibration, and longer overall engine life
- Cast-in-block cylinder design for good cooling and long life
- Hydraulic lifters are quieter and require no adjustment
- Heavy-duty crankshaft provides more bearing surface area for added durability
- CRS optimizes fuel economy, lowering the cost of operation
- ECU provides optimum control and accuracy
- Direct fuel injection
- Improves starting
- Injects fuel directly on top of pistons for more efficient combustion
- Develops more horsepower per gallon of fuel
- Glow plugs (cold starting aid)
- Engine oil cooler, cools engine oil for longer engine life
- Key start and shutoff eliminates fuel shutoff knob
- Electric solenoid shuts fuel supply off immediately when key is turned off
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits operator to check coolant level without removing radiator cap
- Sealed radiator compartment keeps trash and debris on outside of hood
- Dry-type air cleaner with safety element and electronic air service indicator
- Electronic air restriction indicator alerts operator when air filter servicing is required
- Dual-element design for added engine protection
- Easy to service
- Standard side exhaust
- Discharges fumes away from the operator, reducing engine noise
- Improves operator visibility when using a loader or front implement
- Optional vertical exhaust
Yanmar is a trademark of Yanmar Company Limited.
PowrReverser transmission allows for clutchless direction changes
The 12/12 PowrReverser transmission is available on the 4M and 4R Tractors.
The PowrReverser transmission offers a hydraulically shifted forward-to-reverse transmission. This allows for clutchless shuttle shifting between forward and reverse with one lever for quick and easy direction change.
- PowrReverser transmission does not require the operator to use the clutch to shift between forward and reverse
The PowrReverser transmission features a hydraulically actuated wet clutch. Two multi-disk clutch packs (one forward and one reverse) are hydraulically engaged when the directional (reverser) lever is placed in either the forward or reverse position.
Each clutch pack consists of three large, 5-in. diameter clutch disks that operate in oil and are oil-cooled, allowing excellent heat dissipation and extended clutch life.
- Clutch A is used for the forward operation of the tractor
- Clutch B is used for the reverse operation of the tractor
Key features of the PowrReverser transmission:
- 12 forward/12 reverse (12F/12R) speeds
- Reverser lever, located on the left side of the instrument console, allows the operator to make direction changes without clutching
- Fast shuttle shift for improved loader operation
- Dual-cone synchronizers allow for synchronized shifts between gears for on-the-go shifting with the use of the clutch
- Dual-cone synchronizers permit on-the-go, low-effort shifting between gears
- Helical-cut gears for quiet operation
- Well-spaced speeds for turf, loader, and transport work
- Neutral start switch prevents tractor from starting when transmission (main range) is not in neutral
- Dual wet-disk clutches provide long clutch life
- Shifts between ranges are not synchronized
- PowrReverser transmission models have both hand and foot throttle controls
- Especially handy when using a loader
The tractor is available with a three-range electronic hydrostatic (eHydro) transmission.
- Fluid under pressure transmits engine power to the drive wheels using a pump and motor
- Functions both as a clutch and transmission
- Provides high torque for startup
- Reduces powertrain shock loads
Danfoss® supplies both the pump and motor. This ensures that the components are matched to each other, providing maximum efficiency.
The electronic hydrostatic transmission is ideally suited for jobs where productivity is a must, such as loader or mower applications.
Twin Touch™ foot controls allow the operator to select both directions of travel and speed with a touch of the toe.
Key features of the eHydro transmission:
- Infinitely variable ground speeds, in each range, allow the operator to match the speed of the tractor to the job.
- No clutching means fast and easy direction changes.
- Twin Touch foot pedals provide quick and easy forward/reverse operation.
- Cruise control is standard equipment:
- Cruise control switch is located on the right-hand console for easy access.
- Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged, which allows for precise setting of speed.
Danfoss eHydro transmission is used for reliable operation. Durability features include:
Large forged trunnion shaft with larger support bearings that reduce vibration and noise
Center section made from ductile iron (much stronger than grey iron used in many competitive transmissions)
Transmission oil cooler cools transmission oil for longer transmission life
Safety features of the eHydro transmission include:
The tractor will start with one or both foot pedals depressed, but it will not move until both pedals first return to neutral.
Operator presence system means the tractor will come to a stop if the operator leaves the seat but will not shut off unless the power take-off (PTO) is also running.
Key John Deere advantage
John Deere's Twin Touch foot controls offer key advantages over competitive hydro model tractors.
- Some competitive hydrostatic tractors use a treadle pedal designed (toe-heel) foot control for operation of the hydro.
- Requires the operator to use both toe and heel to change direction, resulting in increased operator fatigue
Integrated eHydro features
The eHydro convenience controls have been integrated into a single module. Combining features such as SpeedMatch™ LoadMatch™, MotionMatch, eThrottle, and automotive-style cruise control pulls the maximum efficiency out of the eHydro transmission tractors. All these features are standard on the 4M Heavy Duty and 4R models and deliver customers an easier and more comfortable experience.
Press button to active/deactivate eThrottle. When eThrottle is activated, depression of the travel pedal increases engine rpm and tractor speed.
|Press button to active/deactivate LoadMatch. When LoadMatch is activated, engine will not stall during heavy load applications.|
|Press button to activate/deactivate SpeedMatch. When SpeedMatch is activated, operator is able to set the desired maximum travel speed.|
|Press button to activate/deactivate cruise control. When cruise control is activated, operator is able to set cruise speed.|
|Press button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/set max speed.|
|Press button to resume set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/set max speed.|
|MotionMatch - longer accelerate and decelerate distances.|
|MotionMatch - shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.|
Press a button to activate/deactivate eThrottle. When eThrottle is activated, depression of the travel pedal increases engine rpm and tractor speed simultaneously. This provides the operator with comfort and convenience as well as fuel economy.
Automotive-style cruise control
An automotive-style cruise control is standard equipment on the 4M Heavy-Duty and 4R Series Tractors. Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and is located on the right-hand operator console.
- Maintains desired forward speed without pressure on the foot pedal
- When activated, the operator is able to set cruise speed:
- Use the SET/- button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/maximum speed
- Use the RES/+ button to set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/maximum speed
- A speed sensor also allows the tractor to maintain preset speed driving up and down hills
- To disengage the cruise control, either:
- Apply pressure to the brakes
- Disengage cruise control button
- Briefly depress the reverse travel pedal
LoadMatch power management system
LoadMatch is a standard feature on the 4M Heavy-Duty and 4R Series Tractors.
If torque requirements increase significantly, the transmission will reduce the tractor's drive speed to compensate for the increased load on the transmission, maximizing torque to drive wheels and minimizing stalls.
Controls automatically adjust LoadMatch compensation depending on the tractor’s application. PTO applications require less engine speed fluctuation, therefore adjusting the amount of droop depending on PTO speed. This adjustment increases efficiency and optimizes engine speed and torque output based on tractor application.
While typically left on, LoadMatch can be turned off with the right-hand console controls.
MotionMatch, standard on the 4M Heavy-Duty and 4R Series Tractors, is located on the right-hand console. It offers seven settings for adjusting the rollout or decelerating when the pedal is released.
This icon indicates longer accelerate and decelerate distances.
This icon indicates shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.
SpeedMatch, standard on the 4M Heavy-Duty and 4R Series Tractors, further enhances the eHydro cruise control functions by allowing the operator to preset maximum speed. Once this feature is engaged, the operator must stroke the travel pedal fully to meet the operator’s preset speed and press the Set button to lock the speed. From there, the operator can use the automotive-style cruise controls to adjust speed. This function will improve accuracy and safety, particularly at lower travel speed applications.
Rotary tilling or spraying applications are examples of where SpeedMatch can be applied. SpeedMatch will work in both the forward and reverse set speeds.
NOTE: Automotive-style cruise control and SpeedMatch can be used in conjunction with LoadMatch to maximize productivity.
Danfoss is a trademark of Danfoss A/S Corporation.
The operator's station is designed for easy entry and exit from the tractor.
Conveniently placed brake pedals, as well as repositioned operator controls, provide for a clean and flat platform design giving the operator plenty of legroom.
- Hood and fenders are made from composite polymer material designed to eliminate the possibility of rusting and resistance to dents that can occur with metal hoods and fenders. This material provides a high-luster appearance with excellent resilience and resistance to fading from sunlight.
- Easy-fold rollover protective structure (ROPS), with built-in, rattle reducing, tension rod.
Key features of the operator's station include:
- Large grab handles on each fender make getting on and off the tractor easy
- Foot platform is rubber mounted and incorporates a rubber mat for operator comfort
- Center console and fender toolboxes provide ample storage
- Large cup holder on right-hand fender
- Fender-mounted forward work lights (two lights)
- Improved tilt steering wheel design is in base equipment. The tilt wheel:
- Allows the operator to adjust the steering wheel to the most comfortable position
- Provides additional clearance for the operator to enter and exit the tractor
- Provides easy return to fully raised position
- Provides plenty of room for comfortable operation
- Controls are shape and color-coded for easier identification and operation
- 12-V outlet is standard on the 4R Tractors. It provides power for mobile devices
- Integrated junction block provides switched and unswitched power to add additional accessories
A left-side step is in base equipment to enhance access to the operator's station
- Swivel seat adjustment (1) with armrests, in base equipment on all 4R open station tractors, to decrease operator fatigue when operating rear driven implements. Seat swivels 15 degrees in either direction. Also provides convenience and comfort while entering and exiting the tractor.
- Air suspension seat optional for the 4R Series Tractors.
- Air suspension not compatible with swivel function.
- Air suspension seat optional for the 4R Series Tractors.
- The scissor-type suspension seat gives the operator a comfortable ride. The seat flips forward for protection from the elements.
- Seat suspension is adjustable for the operator's weight and height.
- Operator weight adjustment (2) adjusts to the operator’s weight (115 lb to 275 lb)
- The seat is adjustable fore and aft for the operator’s height using the lever (3) located under the seat
- Retractable seat belts prevent belts from becoming tangled in seat suspension and controls.
John Deere ComfortGard cab tractors are the most comfortable, quiet, and easy-to-use cab tractors available. This premium solution was developed using extensive customer research and validation, tools, and some of the most advanced design techniques available.
The following John Deere ComfortGard cab tractor models are available:
- 4044R eHydro™
- 4052R eHydro
- 4066R eHydro
Cab tractors are designed for those who demand superior performance:
Whether using a loader to move dirt or remove snow or doing a variety of other tasks like mowing, tilling, rotary cutting, or light hay work, the cab tractors have the versatility and muscle to get the job done, all while protecting the operator from the elements.
Designed and built by John Deere
Certified to the highest safety standards in the industry
Fingertip controls and an automotive-like fit and finish
Operators are sure to appreciate what this cab has to offer – beginning with an isolated cab. These cabs are designed with robust mounting points integrated into the rollover protective structure (ROPS) with a unique offset mounting design that provides an ultra-quiet ride.
A 4-post ROPS design, carefully laid-out interior, and fuel tank located under the left rear side of the operator's platform provide a full 360 degrees of visibility:
Operators will enjoy a commanding view no matter what task is being performed.
The raised header bar design allows operators – whether short or tall – to see the loader bucket or pallet forks through virtually the full range of operation.
Operator fatigue caused by awkward bending is reduced, leading to an increase in overall productivity.
The slow-moving vehicle (SMV) sign can be easily removed and stored in the operator's manual holder to provide a clear and unobstructed view for attaching to implements and doing field work.
Ample headroom and curved glass on all four sides provide a spacious interior and give operators the feel of a large-tractor cab.
Operators are well-protected from the elements with a high-performance climate-control system providing heating and air conditioning.
The climate-control system makes any task more enjoyable whether on a frigid winter day or a hot summer day.
The cab is tightly sealed to help reduce exposure to dust and allergens.
A standard high-efficiency clean-air filter keeps even the smallest dust and allergen particles out.
Improved HVAC system with larger capacity condenser cools the cab faster in a hot climate.
Cab comfort features
Several features are integrated into the design of the cab that deliver superior operator comfort and visibility:
- Ultra-quiet interior
- Superior cooling performance
- 4-post ROPS with curved glass for 360-degree visibility and spacious interior
- High-performance climate-control system for maximum operator comfort
- Raised header bar for maximum loader visibility
- Right-hand control center with the most frequently used controls at the operator's fingertips
- Left-hand automotive-style park brake
- Dash-mounted four-wheel drive (4WD) engagement, so there is no awkward bending
- Standard tilt steering
- Improved shift range linkage for ease in operation
- Flat unobstructed foot platform
- 4044R and 4052R has a deluxe cloth seat with a retractable seat belt and armrests, which provides excellent back support
- 4066R comes equipped with an air suspension seat, providing ultimate comfort and reduced operator fatigue
- Inside rearview mirror for rear visibility
- Optional dual exterior rearview mirrors for added rear visibility
- Ergonomically placed integrated loader joystick control for maximum comfort during operation
- Interior dome light with on, door, and off positions for illumination in low-light conditions
- Optional field- or factory-installed stereo with Jensen® receiver, weather band, auxiliary port and powered USB port
- SWJHD1630 stereo with AM/FM, weather band, SIRIUS® Satellite, and iPod® ready can be ordered separately through Parts
- Standard sun visor to block unwanted sunlight
- Creature comforts like:
- Dual cup holders
- 12-V power supply
- Cell phone storage
- Hitch pin storage
- Miscellaneous storage
- Operator's manual holder
- Integrated handle for convenient support for entering and exiting
- Left-side step for convenient entrance and exit
Cab operating features
- Pre-wired for optional accessories like radio, horn, rear work lights, electric hydraulic diverter, third electrohydraulic selective control valve (SCV), dual rear SCV, rear wiper/washer, beacon light, and cigarette lighter
- Optional field-installed stereo with Jensen receiver, weather band, auxiliary port and powered USB port
- Integrated warning lights/turn signals and taillights, protected from trees and branches
- Integrated roof-mounted antenna, protected from potential damage from trees and branches
- Dual roof-mounted forward work lights for optimum forward visibility at night
- Standard two-speed front windshield wiper to keep the front glass clear
- Standard rear wiper on the deluxe cab keeps the rear glass clear (Standard on the 4066R Deluxe Cab model.)
- Optional front fenders to protect the front cab glass from mud and debris
- Optional rear fender extensions to help protect the doors from mud and debris
- High-impact polymer fenders, dent resistant and painted to an automotive-like finish
- Rear glass that swings out 70 degrees for ventilation or access to the optional iMatch™ hitch
- Easy access to route and mount the controller or monitor through the rear window removable plug and mounting bosses on the side post
- Large, 13-gal. fuel tank for longer operation without refueling
- Left-rear fender fuel fill with large opening for easy refueling
- Fuel tank located under the left side of the operator's station for maximum rear visibility
Cab safety features
ROPS – certified to the highest industry standards for maximum operator protection
Operator presence system
Engine shuts down if the operator leaves the seat when the any power take-off (PTO) is engaged
Tractor must have the park brake fully set for stationary PTO work
Right-side emergency exit
Tempered safety glass in case of breakage
Roof-mounted warning lights/turn signals for road transport – two front and two rear
Two fender-mounted taillights
Removable slow-moving vehicle sign can be easily removed and stored in the operator's manual holder
4044R/4052R standard cloth seat
A deluxe cloth seat with a retractable seat belt is in base equipment:
An ergonomically sculpted seat cushion, an adjustable scissor-link suspension, and seat armrests are combined to provide excellent operator comfort and support.
The scissor-link suspension can be adjusted for the operator's height and weight.
The operator weight adjustment adjusts to the operator's weight (115 lb to 275 lb).
Seat is adjustable fore and aft for the operator's height, using the lever located under the seat.
Retractable seat belts prevent the belts from becoming tangled in the seat suspension and controls.
Optional air-suspension seat is available.
4066R Deluxe air-suspension seat
An air-ride seat is standard on the 4066R Cab Tractor and is available as an option on the 4044R and 4052R Cab models. This seat is designed to provide an air cushion for vertical-seat travel which provides maximum operator comfort in any terrain.
The deluxe air-ride seat is a field-installed option on the 4044R and 4052R Cab Tractor.
- Push the button at the base of the seat to pump up the seat. Pull the button to deflate the seat.
- The seat slides fore-aft with a lever on the right-hand side of the seat.
- The seat back reclines with the lever in the lower-left corner of the seat cushion.
The optional field-installed air-suspension kit requires the existing standard seat to be reused when installed.
NOTE: The deluxe two-piece seat top may be ordered through Parts.
Key benefits include:
- Maximum-ride comfort and quality, thus minimizing operator fatigue
- Dampens lower frequency vibration better than mechanical suspensions
- Increased operator weight capacity of 330 lb
- Closeout boot for enhanced appearance
The base lighting package for cab tractors includes:
- Two wide-angle halogen headlights
- Two roof-mounted, adjustable halogen forward work lights, which illuminate the work area in low-light conditions
- Two roof-mounted, adjustable halogen rear work lights, which illuminate the work area in low-light conditions (4066R Deluxe Cab models only)
- Two front and two rear amber turn signals/warning lights integrated into the cab roof
- Two taillights integrated into the fenders
- Three-position (on/off/auto) interior dome light
Optional lighting includes:
- Dual roof-mounted adjustable rear work lights (in base equipment on the 4066R Deluxe Cab only)
- Rotating beacon light (field-installed kit only for both base and deluxe cab offerings)
Jensen is a trademark of ASA Electronics Corporation. iPod is a trademark of Apple Incorporated. SIRIUS is a trademark of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc.
Safety is designed into all 4M and 4R Series Tractors.
- Operator presence system ensures the operator is in the seat to run the tractor
- If the operator leaves the seat when front or rear power take-off (PTO) is engaged, the engine shuts down.
- For stationary PTO work, the tractor must be in neutral and the park brake fully set.
- The rollover protective structure (ROPS) is designed for operation safety
- Reflective ROPS strips for better tractor visibility
- Key switch interlock prevents bypass starting
- Visual PTO warning light alerts operator when rear PTO is running
- Placing the transmission in neutral and setting the park brake allows operator to run rear PTO safely when off the tractor seat
- Turn signal and flashing warning lights operate according to ASAE S279.10 standard
- Taillights for road transport
- Slow moving vehicle (SMV) sign for road transport
Hitch assist, auxiliary 3-point hitch control, and optional iMatch™ Quick-Hitch for easy implement hookup
Hitch assist (ground positioning)
The hitch assist feature allows the operator to creep the tractor backward/forward while standing behind the tractor. Engaging and operation includes the following steps:
- Ensure hitch assist switch is in off position (A below)
- Engage the park brake
- Select A range
- Set to low throttle
- Ensure power take-off (PTO) is off
- Operator must be in the tractor’s seat
- Activate the hitch assist switch
a. If successful, flashers will trigger
b. If not, the missing interlock will be displayed on the LCD screen
- Once flashers are triggered, if the operator leaves the seat, the display will beep indicating that the hitch assist is in remote mode
- Operator moves to back of the tractor, start motion of the tractor using the enable button (B below) and corresponding direction button (C below)
a. Push and hold both buttons continuously as long as motion is desired
- Audible alarm will sound indicating motion of the tractor
Auxiliary 3-point hitch control
The new auxiliary 3-point hitch control, on the left-hand fender, allows the operator to raise or lower the hitch while standing on the ground behind the tractor.
Pairing the auxiliary 3-point hitch control with hitch assist, changing implements has never been easier. Both features are in base equipment for 4R Series eHydro™ models.
One of the greatest customer concerns involves difficulty in attaching tractor implements. John Deere has addressed this issue with the iMatch Quick-Hitch.
The iMatch Quick-Hitch provides easy hookup and a guaranteed fit for all Category 1 implements that are designed to meet the ASAE Category 1 Standard S278.6 for quick-attach hitches.
- All implements require a set of bushings in order for the attachment to fit and work properly with the iMatch Quick-Hitch. One set of bushings comes with the iMatch Quick-Hitch.
NOTE: The bushing set can be seen in the picture above. These bushings allow the hooks on the iMatch and the pins on the implement to fit together properly. All other implements (box blades, tillers, rear blades, etc.) will require a set of bushings to enlarge the pin to fit with the iMatch hooks. Bushings of different lengths can be found in the Parts system or through a bushing supplier (see dimensions below).
- Upper bushing
- Inside diameter: 1.93-1.06 cm (0.76-0.77 in.)
- Outside diameter: 3.15 to 3.43 cm (1.24-1.25 in.)
- Lower bushings
- Inside diameter: 2.24 to 2.26 cm (0.88 to 0.89 in.)
- Outside diameter: 3.63 to 3.66 cm (1.43 to 1.44 in.)
The optional field-installed 540/540 economy power take-off (PTO) allows operators to select the engine rpm needed for their PTO application. The economy position provides 540 rpm to the PTO at approximately 70 percent of the engine's normal rated speed. The engine runs at a rated speed of approximately 1750 rpm in the 540 economy position. The 540 economy is ideal for any PTO application, from running a mower to a baler or a cutter, where full horsepower is not needed. Operating at lower engine rpm decreases fuel costs during tasks. The overall operating experience improves because there is less noise and vibration for the operator.
A conveniently located lever (behind the seat of the tractor) allows the operator to simply change between 540 and 540E when conditions merit the opportunity to save fuel without affecting performance. For heavy-duty operations that require maximum PTO power, the PTO shift lever is placed in the 540 position, the PTO engaged, and the engine is run at rated speed of 2400 rpm. This selection gives 540 rpm to the PTO shaft and delivers the full-advertised horsepower at rated engine speed.
The 540/540 economy PTO offers all the features of the standard 540-rpm PTO, and the safety interlock
is a foolproof measure provided to compensate for operator oversight. When the tractor is in economy,
the engine is limited to a lower operating speed, preventing accidental over speeding of PTO implements
and protecting against binding the PTO shaft. The safety interlock also prevents accidental shifting of
the PTO selector lever at higher engine speeds than the economy PTO setting, which would lead to
downtime to fix implements or drivetrains.
Regular service and maintenance are essential to the performance, productivity, and longevity of the tractor.
- Easy access to regular service points minimizes service time.
- Easily removable cowl and side panels, improved hood design, and integrated maintenance position on the grille provide easy accessibility for routine maintenance.
- Tractors are equipped with extensive onboard self-diagnostic capabilities and are fully compatible with John Deere’s exclusive Service ADVISOR™ system.
- Daily service requirements are minimal and simple to accomplish. Most service interval requirements can be performed with a basic understanding of procedures and common tools.
- Improved cost of ownership
- Hydraulic oil service interval changed from 400 to 1200 hours (or 3 years) when using Hy-Gard™ products
All items in the daily service schedule can be performed without the use of tools:
- Engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant level, and the water separator can be conveniently accessed
- The engine can be easily accessed by simply raising the hood for more periodic maintenance checks
- A single-point latch mechanism and self-contained leash ensure easy hood opening and closure
NOTE: Always refer to the operator’s manual for complete maintenance and service recommendations.
|Select up to 4 models to compare specifications||
Compact Utility Tractor
|Engine power (gross)||31.7 kW
PS at 2600 rpm
SAE J1995 rated power
|Power take-off (PTO) power||PRT - 25 kW
eHST - 24.1 kW
Per SAE J1995
|Steering hydraulics||23.5 L/min
|Implement hydraulics||42.3 L/min
|Hitch type||Category 1|
|Lift capacity, 24-in. behind link arms||1135 kg
|Standard transmission; forward/reverse||eHydro Transmission (eHST)|
|Approximate shipping weight (open-station; cab)||OOS - 1710 kg
Cab - 2120 kg
|Engine power (gross)||31.7 kW
PS at 2600 rpm
SAE J1995 rated power
|Power take-off (PTO) power||PRT - 25 kW
eHST - 24.1 kW
|Rated engine speed||2600 rpm|
|Injection pump type||High pressure common rail direct injection|
|Emissions compliance||Final Tier 4|
|Cylinders/displacement||4 / 2.189 L
4 / 133.5 cu in.
|Number of cylinders||Four|
|Bore and stroke||88x90 mm
|Air cleaner||Dual element with electronic restriction indicator|
|Engine torque at rated speed||116 Nm
|Fuel tank capacity||Rollover protective structure (ROPS) - 56.9 L
15 U.S. gal.
Cab - 52.2 L
13.8 U.S. gal.
|Battery size||770 CCA|
|Alternator (12-V)||75 amp|
|Starter size||2 kW
|Type||High pressure common rail direct injection|
|Standard transmission; forward/reverse||eHydro transmission (eHST)|
|Optional transmission; forward/reverse||12/12 PowrReverser transmission (PRT)|
|Left-hand reverser||PRT only|
|Transmission gear ranges||PRT - 12F/12R
eHydro - Infinitely-variable, 3 range
|Brakes||Multi-plate wet disc|
|Steering||Hydrostatic power steering|
|Clutch disk diameter wet clutch||129 mm
|Drawbar maximum vertical load|
|Pump rated output||Steering
|Pump type||Single gear|
|Maximum operating pressure|
|Draft control sensing||Position control|
|Remote control valves available||Up to six rear remotes|
|Lift capacity, 24-in. behind link arms||1135 kg
Power take-off (PTO)
540 rpm at 2600 rpm
|Brake (for mid and rear PTO)|
|Crankcase with filter||5.3 L
|Transmission and hydraulic system||47.3 L
|Rollover protective structure||Type
|Platform - flat/straddle||Flat|
|Gear shift location - console/floor||PRT - Left-hand side|
|Compliance||OSHA, SAE, ASAE|
|Visibility||360 degree (angle)|
|Air conditioning, temperature differential||14.4 °C
|Noise rating||78 dBA|
|Seat equipment||Air suspension with swivel|
|Front axle clearance||35.1 cm
|Turning radius with brakes||2.8 m
|Turning radius without brakes||3 m
|Limited slip differential|
|Approximate shipping weight (open-station; cab)||OOS - 1710 kg
Cab - 2120 kg
|Front||Farm - 8-16
Turf - 27x10.5-15 or 27x12LL-15
Industrial - 10-16.5
|Rear||Farm - 13.6-28
Turf - 44x18-20 or 22.5LL-16.1
Industrial - 16.9Lx24
|Front tread range||148.1 cm
|Rear tread spacing||137.2 cm
|Tilt steering wheel|
Learn more about financing options for this piece of equipment including:
- John Deere Revolving Plan account
- John Deere Multi-Use account
- Installment financing options
- Equipment leasing
- 10 Year Platinum Warranty Package
Get a quote